Couple Educates About Dangers Of
"(CBS4) DENVER A couple from Superior shared their sad story at Children's
Hospital to educate people about the dangers of shaking a child.
Sean McLaughlin and his wife's young son, Von, was shaken by his nanny earlier
They said they feel lucky because 25 percent of shaken babies die from their
injuries, but Von survived although it'll be years before they know what sort of
long term damage he may suffer.
"He was 4-months-old when we had a caregiver come into our house," McLaughlin
said as he stood in front of a quilt with the names and pictures of victims of
Shaken Baby Syndrome.
"I received a phone call saying 'your baby's at home and he's not moving,'"
Their former nanny has since pleaded guilty to two felony counts of child abuse.
"We found out that this individual, within 4 weeks period of time, shook our
baby not once but twice to where he hemorrhaged in the brain and he had old
blood in his the brain and he also was now bleeding in his brain because of this
current situation," McLaughlin said.
The affidavit painted a frightening picture of Von's time with his sitter, but
the McLaughlins still wanted to educate parents and caretakers about the need
Kohls' Department Store donated $400,000 to Children's Hospital to fund an
ongoing Shaken Baby Syndrome prevention campaign throughout the state.
Shaken Baby Syndrome can leave a child deaf, blind, brain damaged and it
increases their chances of cerebral palsy.
The nanny involved in the McLaughlin case has already pled guilty to two felony
counts of child abuse."